Good Times

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Blood, Sweat, and Tears (literally)

Today's workout, I'll be honest, was not my favorite. There was good news and bad news, so the good first:
1. When I arrive I usually try a couple of unassisted pull-ups before my arms become tired and dangle on my side like two limp spaghetti noodles, and today was no different. Except this time I got my chin over the bar! That's right folks, I have finally achieved my New Year resolution of pulling off an unassisted pull-up. Yay me! Now, like all things in Crossfit, my new goal is to achieve 10 unassisted pull-ups. Get after it.
2. During a complete meltdown (more on this in a sec) in the middle of the workout of the day (WOD), I start hitting my toes to the bar! For those not familiar with this move, I'll fill you in...you hang from the pull-up bar and swing your feet over your head to touch the bar. Simple, right? Not so much. So, yet another goal achieved today. Hooray! I should be feeling great, right? Well, about that meltdown...
...and for the bad news...the workout consisted of 5 rounds of two exercises:
12 16 lbs wall-balls
12 toes-to-bar
When I read the workout this morning I thought to myself, no sweat that sounds easy. Boy was I wrong! I was sweating like a stuck pig, not to mention my hand's blisters opened, bled, and I could hardly grip the damn bar! I gave up in the middle of my first round of toes-to-bar and turned to Coach Meg and called it quits through eyefuls of tears. Tears! Ugh. I'm not sure why I was crying...hormones, frustration, fatigue, weakness leaving my body, overwhelmed...
or all of the above.

Too bad that quitting is not an option in Coach Meg's Crossfit box and thank god for it. She got up and came over to push me back into beast mode. I know if she wasn't there I'd have walked out that door defeated, but today she wasn't having it and let me know that quitting was not an option. That I had to want it, this is why I was here, and to just keep moving! Not sure how, but it worked. Coach Meg got me back on track and saved me from a DNF (did not finish), the ultimate embarrassment. Thanks Meg!
Plus, when Nick finished his WOD he started cheering me on as well. I'm not sure what the deal was, but I couldn't find my groove on that damn bar. Finally, I fought through the pain in my palms, flesh ripping off my hands, wiped the sweat off my face and tears from my eyes, and just roughed through it. Then, something magical happened...I made the toes-to-bar! Not just one but several, and next thing you know that smile found its way back to my face.
Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment